Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Summer in Chavez Park










Berkeley Marina



The Flaneur has haunted the Berkeley Marina forever,
I tend to call Chavez park the Marina as well
but it didn't actually exist 
when I first came ashore here






Cesar Chavez
fought for the rights
of migrant workers







The storied San Pablo bus
pulled over and a guy boarded
to fix the fare machine






By coincidence
the rendez-vous took place across 
from the EAST BAY RATS clubhouse



He did fast and efficient work
the proverbial dollar bill accordion



The graffiti murals 
around this part of town
are notably demented




I'm headed for a someplace
tonier, 
a more opulent section

Excuse me


University and San Pablo
Berkeley


Hand me my turban,
Infidel




I'm out for fun
Note: Oakland claims to have coined this
slang superlative




A day beautiful and a bit brisk
Fog bank on the Golden gate







 The savage design
attracted my eye,
The driver looked nervous
Don't draw on me, partner





 I am a pilgrim
and a stranger
traveling through 
this wearisome land




Contemplating the frieze 
of green and dry weeds 
on a  sun-baked wall




Shorebirds
dig the solitude




 

 Coming up around the bend



 Mount Tamalpais
The spindle on which
the San Francisco Bay turns



 Soon the fog
that steals through
the Gate


 Will besiege and then overtake
 the mythic mountain
between the bay and the Sea








 The chill atmosphere
of the open sea moves in
The breeze picks up
The choppy waters swell








 In turbulence
 tranquility






I'll say








3 August 2016





No comments: