Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wearing My Green Like Heaven




The Feast of Saint Patrick




After years of drought
The splendor of marsh ponds
 Run-off of the rains of El Nino






The Flaneur gone green on the cusp of Spring
on St Patrick's Day, the eye of Lent






Adventure started on College Avenue



A lovely vegetable garden for students 
Claremont Junior High School





A row of redwoods 
stand in insurgent grass
Noble survivors



Fairly constant traffic miasma
Toxic gas station on the site for decades,
Gone green for the while






I stopped for coffee beans
and had a strong cup of java,
Then waited under a tree
Where the avenue meets campus
For the bus Marina-bound








In no time I was down here
At the grassland nature preserve
 A wonder of reclaimed habitat







A sturdy fence keeps humans from penetrating
This realm of animals and plants,
Dogs are even banned
From the fenced-in trail




I'm close enough
To feel the aquatic presence
So deep in its peace






California poppies
Vanguard of the Spring






A network of momentary lakes
So stirring after visiting here
During the searing drought







 I came in with the arrow
My hike will follow the perimeter
Of that Northern rhombus
and back out





  Ah California
Just add water
It becomes verdant and fecund



 

Ach, a soggy bog
It doesn't this old Irishman's heart good




Crossroads of the trails
I met a leprechaun here once,
I've save the tale for me memoirs





Landscape and my mind,
No distinction






 Signpost
Obscured by time



I stopped at a picnic near here
For my marine lunch
Sardines, pumpernickel with almond butter,
A snappy fresh carrot,
Content in my solitude




The next table on was already spoken for
A Raven couple claimed it first

We didn't have ravens here
Until only a few years back


Not some common crow
These are indeed ravens


When I stopped near him
Him made himself look bigger,





Looks like the husband and kids
Might have come second, 
I'm seeking a bench myself



Yellow flowers in the grass,
Looking out toward El Cerrito
Birthplace of Credence Clearwater Revival
The great rock and roller John Fogarty
There's the other raven





An inviting spot but
Not quite what I had in mind



Another congenial bench
With its own circle of stones



Yellow sure is yellow


Ah there's the spot
A bench with my name on it
Where I always wind up


The magnificent San Francisco bay
The city and the Golden Gate
All a-sparkle under mild air


Off northward
Marin and Mount Tamalapais
Big sky mind



Last year's withered vegetation 
Dry and unyielding
They should have burned it here
An intrepid kayak the sole boat








The grass where I lie down
So soft and mild
I was briefly asleep




On the way out again
A lone fellow on the hillside
Flying his model airplane
As the shamrock moon
Rises behind him
in vast quietude





17 March 2016




Soundtrack:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n730FWycrTY&ebc=ANyPxKqF9JUCwONtZhuuWUOB1t5HCP526xEAhUlP5DvIqUyvcyXNlFedNWRiR2bg3BhYuitQC4yaHjcoFAVqu-0oQb_8DJxjNQ 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sje2VYw99A&ebc=ANyPxKoOrZ6Yime7PP_w_m7mEHqJhsx-BsG3igyHrtgTcr7gtcZIHS2zvcNBN5pKEzL0h4-9xwsWuvigszob07QcbztV37UPYA






No comments: