Monday, March 16, 2015

Bus Stop






Patience is a form of grace.



 A charming green belt in Alameda
I spent an afternoon on the bench at Crown beach,
To get here I walked down from the 51 busline
but my dogs don't favor an uphill rebound
So I await the somewhat sparse 20 bus down here,
You must be alert because the bus comes around a curve 
and it will leave you behind without the slightest regret



 Time passes





 In my long life I have developed skills to avoid impatience--
the almost psychedelic color of early California poppies,
the meaning of trees and grass and clouds...




 More time passes



A father and his toddling daughter come along the long sidewalk, eventually are even with me. She is filled with the pure joy of the Springtime, a contact high for me. She reaches for a poppy and Dad says no. I say, "it's protected." She pets the flower as it it was a kitten such touching gentleness.
Then they slowly move on and are gone...




More time passes




 Across the street tennis courts and sports fields,
A row of admirable trees
 hanging outdoors, tired, having exercised myself
I enjoy observing the activities of others




 More time passes





 A so-called aboriginal or primitive person  sees a landscape in a much more profound sense. This capacity occupies the exact structures in the brain that we so-called civilized humans use to store knowledge of symbolic language of all kinds.
My goal is restore as much of this capacity in myself as I can. While here I heard crows, watched a bluejay make his rounds, and I keep a long watch on a lovely Anna's Hummingbird hovering over the scrub trees...



 In no time at all






But I didn't see a snake until I got back to Chinatown,
The bus showed up and dropped me at 8th street minutes later,
Racing through the tunnel under the Bay like it was 2001







15 March 2015

No comments: