Thursday, February 11, 2016

Mobile Mardi Gras on San Francisco Bay Part 2





The Return





When I saw the footprint
I knew I was not alone,

After long thought I knew
It could only be my own






Fortune smiles a sardonic smile




The wave comes in


And goes back out again




Out in the gap
A Coast Guard patrol boat
Fussing about and bull-horn hectoring









Parting of the waters

I weighed staying on for the five o'clock boat home
But after my one-man carnival
Brandy and a cannabis blend
Including Midnight Indica
My head grew heavy.







The three o'clock boat is breezy,
The five o'clock trip is chock-full
Of uptight office workers
Having a tipple and laughing



The coin drops
into the fare-box
And I'm on my way back home



Clang clang clang went the soundtrack
As I walked back to the boat




 Subliminal seduction






Incredibly forlorn sound
Playing on a Chinese fiddle,
His clothes so were thread-bare
Was it part of his shtick?








Farewell
To the Maritime scene
To the Wharf,
To faraway Russian hill




Adieu to my Golden Gate
See you in March
 For another Lenten date





Arrivederci, North Beach
Coit tower and Telegraph hill
Hope to see you again soon





The City as transformed,
Huge illegal promotional banners
Still cover several high-rise buildings,
The Mayor picked up the $5m tab for the NFL




There's that Barney Fife patrol boat again,
Roof-light turned-on,
 Means business
Barking at kayakers





Angles
In a high-stakes game of chess



That's right I'm surveilling you too,
Deputy dog




And so we sailed
Back under the bridge
After a day's adventure




Kind of a relief to leave
Bye-bye, San Francisco









There's the vainglorious new
Bay Bridge span,
an old lighthouse structure




Back to Oakland
There may be no there there,
As Oakland native Gertrude Stein maintained
But there is an elsewhere




Got home around four,
Slept and woke up at five forty-five
Officially sunset on the Bay,
The five o'clock was crossing
To Oakland from Alameda
Time for dinner and a night of fun










8 February 2016










No comments: