Sunday, July 19, 2015

Weird Tales Hit Crown Beach


Based on a True Story





 

Just another diamond day,
Just a blade of grass,




 1.
The Insular Beach




Alameda a place that time forgot,
Suggests as well a time that land forgot,





The miraculous flight of a fisher
The miracle of a boy wading in the tide





Weird island or isthmus,
Afterthought of the Oakland estuary,
Yet you can board a board and paddle 
Out the Golden Gate all the way to Maui







 Twenty-first century surf shop





 Rent anything you can ride 
That isn't motorized











Kite-boarding rocks the ho-daddy haircut,
Those girls were doing Butoh I think





Pulled over at a table for a very basic aquatic picnic,
Sardines, whole rye pumpernickel with almond butter,
A little jar of brandy






As I was capturing the preceding image,
A veritable Luftwaffe of honking,
Goose-stepping goose flesh
Hurled past only a few feet over my head






2.
The Enigmatic Incident





 What is this?
Found earth art brute?




 Wait, it's some sort of a sordid pagan shrine...
Cthulhu !!!
The little girl with powder blue flip-flops
Who went missing...








 
CAUTION,
 Back way slowly





 

 Ee-yikes!








 What are these things???
Scores of them...






 One of them may have stung my foot,
Lost focus... had to sit down in the sand,
I felt like I was sitting on top of a washing machine,
I must have fallen asleep







 3.
Embryonic Aftermath 




 It was later the same day,
,
The unfamiliar life forms were no where in sight,
The effigy was gone too, washed away I suppose,
Few people remained
Their eyes looked changed




 I walked back the entire length of the beach
To a less windy spot where I had stopped to smoke,
I must have dropped the roach but there it still was







 I began to feel at home in my skin again,
The world regained its grace







 Downtown again,
The banality seemed to conceal something







Then I was hurtling through a tunnel
Back under the estuary
Like a sequence from 2001
Gonna take you down to Funkytown







15 July 2015

No comments: