Thursday, November 6, 2014

All Souls Stroll on Woolsey




 

Preceded by All Saints Day
Sweet peppers at the Berkeley Farmer's market




All Souls Day took the form of a sunny afternoon in the Elmwood district of Berkeley, my old stomping ground.



 The Flaneur began his leisurely walk in the Rockridge.
Stopping at Cole coffee for a pound of beans
 and a large black coffee at the table outside.
Across the street at the new supermarket mega-complex
the facts were on the ground,
Quel dommage.





 The gift of solitude,
 The massive caffeine influx made me feel like I was on 
An escalator over the hill, I puffed my bird-call sized fatty
and climbed on a rope ladder to the moon,
remembering Jack Bruce so recently departed
I'd seen him with Cream and stood on-stage
at the Newport Jazz festival when he performed
With the Tony Williams Lifetime.




 Roseate trees on Eton





 A notable redwood on Woolsey
A street where I lived for fifteen years





 A proverbial quiet neighborhood at this elevation






Around the corner and onto Claremont avenue,
Batman neon in the reflections of trees





Military vampire 
Outside the febrile comic book shop





A bookstore cat




They sell a sandwich press that toasts
The image of Our Lord onto the bread...
I want one





I love this kind of stuff,
Some folks spend their adult life 
chasing a child's Halloween high,
I know I did





And it's all half-price!
Look they have designer plague rats!





Old STAR market established long before I moved here,
They were recently graffiti-bombed by friends of animals
who remind us that organic meat is still murder





I wanted a Giants yamulke
but they told me that they were all sold out





The Claremont Uplands begin here
Home to prominent bankers and lawyers
and such





I started to feel a little self-conscious
Out of place sort of like a country bumpkin





The Flaneur headed to more familiar environs
a little farther down Woolsey street





The Black Dahlia's daughter





The balance of her remains remain undiscovered 
In a shallow grave not far from this spot












2 November 2014

No comments: