Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Adventures in Advent I
















When will it be Christmas on Earth?



The first week in Advent
a profound memory
being blessed


Uptown
the old I Magnin building
I'm old enough to remember
busy Xmas shopping here and
at Emporium across the street


Paramount theater
in the ideal sunlight
of December


Sheila E is going to perform
the entirety of Joanna Newsom's "Y's"
but apparently not until next year
maybe he ran out of 7



Old Glory is looking
a little limpid
lately


But two angels
lead me on past
 the religious gift shop

Christ
 the tree of life
let's join his cause



Advent wreath
until He cometh
with clouds

Meet me Jesus meet me
meet me in the middle of the air


I will know my Savior
when I come to Him







By the marks where
 the nails have been


 The greatest story ever told

Is still infolding


After there are
 no more books
in circulation


The Advent candles
set before
the majestic image
of the Messiah

I think the Mexican-American parishoners
demanded some tradition
The modernistic metal statue
of the Madonna here
seems to have few real fans










The beauty of a time-honored icon




Wade in the water
and be baptized
the estuary awaits
with or without you


God's going to
trouble the skies
trouble the waters



In the font of holy water


 I am baptized again






Out through the sepulchral
basement passage



Traditional décor prevails
in this more secular hallway



Mascot for all the security guards
more of them than the faithful today





2.
The Oaks of Oakland







Frugging madly


The old oak tree
cork-screwed
into the sky





And look who's there



A charming squirrel
an old old friend







 Sunning
his bushy red tail










We are deep in an
Antifa Zone
you'll be glad to know


 
3.
Black crows are massing
over Lakeside Park



Tippi and Alfred
Sitting in a tree
K-i-s-s
I-n-g





 Incredible number of birds
only hinted at here



A frenetic murder of crows





First they'll take
Lake Merritt



Then they'll take.
Oakland





Augering good or augering ill
The crows are without doubt
a portent



4 December 2017









No comments: