Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Sad Tale of Today (redux)

















Nature morte


1.



A Flaneur tries not
to let the sheer miserabilism
overtake his joie de vivre
continuing along escape routes
is not always certain to be jolly


A sentimental example,
yet a scarecrow represents
the inexorable mathematics
of survival



Scare away the crows
and all the birds
there is danger here





Agricultural
 superstructure
over the primordial stratum
of tooth and claw









I noted with dread
a massive anonymous
black tour bus


It seemed to have
a sinister feeling
attached to it
It was an omen













Then the intrusion of nature's
constant dance of  life and death

Apprehended with the horror
of sentience


A spectacular wild bird
was lying dead
atop the BART escalator,
its incarnadine head and stole
it's striking claw
animated with vibrant life
scant minutes ago

Luckily I had plastic bags
one for my hand the other
for his sad body bag,
Down at the BART booth
the guy couldn't be concerned,
he indicated the trash bin

I took a fast Richmond train out
to await my Rockridge train
at MacArthur station
away from the experience
away from the bird
 its tragic cadaver


2.

I cling to my smile
against all sorrow






As all must


Take a steel capsule
to Rockridge
in the golden noontime







The aesthetics of everyday
commerce
A Picasso face







Not amused





The eye of course
the mouth
as cubist as une dame
d'avignon






Toughest audience really
no vestigial sense of humor

October dues are due
at the secretive hall





Magic mushrooms
make me as sleepy
as the next guy






I try to be
heteronormative
 but I draw the line
at cisgender




The missionary position
with a member
of the opposite sex

Tried and true
leads to children
Ban gas-powered cars


I am approaching
mellow

And look who's here






Blinky!
you old cad


A man for all seasons
particularly the one at hand

Nothing like a familiar face
from long long ago
to brighten-up my mood

















If you go into the fields today
you'd better not go alone




I returned to the market
 after dark
for a bottle of XO brandy


The moon was nearly full
psychic Vampires
and sugar junkies
roamed the fleeting streets





Tuesday
3 October 2017

No comments: