Monday, February 26, 2018

The Left Side of Berkeley



 
Multi-culty butterfly
in the Irish Mexican
African American
side of town



Home to La Pena
and the radically
rocking Irish pub
The Starry Plough
 
 
Radical America unite
before the Fascists
get their way
 
 
 
La Pena's over the top
3-D mural
depicting you know
the struggle
 
I co-curated and contributed to
an exhibition
of art and graphics
with Paul Buhl in 1983
which I laboriously
hung single handed
at La Pena
Faraway radicals laughed
when I crabbed that I found
a splash of frijoles
on one work



 
Stage door on the sidewalk
to the world-famous
Starry Plough
 
Many well-known rock
and some folky acts
have played here
 in its long years
 
I lived on nearby Woolsey
and still regret that
I passed on a suggestion
to see "Tim Buckley's son"
when he played the joint
 
Saw two shows
UC Berkeley outdoor free show
and Great American in SF
where I was all-access
 
Breaks my heart
to remember him
and met him
the following year
 





 
I'll be OK
after Saint Patrick's
Guinness and Jameson
boiler-maker



 
Slainte
 
 
 
 
February 2018
 
 
 

No comments: