Saturday, November 24, 2018

Recent Paradox













Recent Paradox
 


 
The threshold of dreams
has been changed
I'm someone from long ago
 
Early one morning
at the St James Infirmary
that was me a while back
 
Gone the certitude
of the storybook ending
knighthood
 
The windows are shut
and stoppered
Processions go past
 
In hazard masks
smoky sunlight
bends incredulity
 
Some sylvan paradise
old couples unable
to open the garage door
 
Their cremains on the wind
particulates that want in
to begin again
 
When all the smoke clears
vast chasms of water well
from the center of the earth
 
Our civilization
our relation to all that lives
passing glance in geological time
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When I notice I'm still awake still thinking
I turn on my side facing North
and burrow into the pillows to fall asleep
I commence an adventure story
that takes place in the Great White North
I call this going to Canada
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was the last passenger
no way to make an approach
The put me off in the midst
of nowhere Canada
I started down
an old Indian road
 
There was a calliope
abandoned in the woods
I seemed to know how to play it
once upon a time and I tried now
It percolated right away
into an old robin jingle
before long I taught myself
an old organ fugue by Sweelinck
 
A small green leaf branch
fell on the keys and I fled
walking along a fairy folk berm
sort of a old ha ha
I heard rhythmic hooves
on a heavy aqueduct
Momentarily startled
I looked into the green green
gloom
 
From there emerged
a saddled horse
he walked along with me
until at last I stroked
his velvet mourning coat
The under the watchful
in-flowing horses eyes
I mounted him and rode on
 
 
 
 
 
 
October-November 2018
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: