Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Berkeley Old Time Music Con











Come on along as I make this scene
a fond and locally grown favorite,
Every year we become hillbillies
around this time




Old Time Music
not to imply that
it's all old timers



Take this handsome
young banjo-playing hobo


Which is not to say
some patriarchs aren't here

Eric Thompson
a figure in the SF Bay area
folk scene since the sixties
 played with Jerry Garcia

And it ain't all men neither




This is a music happening
for old and young
all walks of life


The String Band contest
was in the shade this year
over next to the farmers market,
A little crammed-in
but that just added
 to the conviviality




An oldsters certainly
were represented
long-practiced and fun-loving









Helps to have a gimmick,
They started jiggling
an old-fashioned loose-jointed
dancing toy

Kids delight,
so predictable
yet so genuine




Everyone is delighted
by the skillful older fingers flying
across the strings












A squeezebox in the grass

Mama's little squeezebox
lands in good hands




I'm in the green room
backstage
Well, howdy, Mam


Musicians in dresses
looking confident


I've never been accused
of looking up lady's skirts
in the past



The anticipation builds
anyone need a beta-blocker?
cures stage fright


Boom
they take the stage
a carpet on the lawn


Talented and well-rehearsed
they did the requisite
tidy two song set




Next up a Santa Cruzy band,
when you're smiling
the whole world smiles with you



An usual entry
Followers of Markos
with a skinny teenager on piccolo oud
wearing a Black Sabbath T-shirt
and a tri-cornered hat

Within a few bars
I recognized a very gifted,
 expressive player
I said "wow" after she played
a sinuous arabesque
She noticed and smiled while holding
eye contact with me a moment











Next a zany jug band
The guy in white coat
revived the reefer-crazy
Doctor jazz act
They won a prize
 for "most theatrical"



Then my favorite of the bands
in the contest
Some absurd name



Yes that's eight banjos,
They came at you
like a locomotive

 Tom Diamant on banjo
Host of KPFA's Panhandle Country
My favorite Americana DJ
a little gnarly but nice




It's not just that I have
an intergenerational crush
on Alegra in the yellow T-shirt,
 they are my faves


Oh, I won't get drink no more!
I howled along with  the words



I really dig this singer too
He was what I call authentic,
He gave me a real friendly look



Then, That Seventies Band
a string band no doubt
Berkeley and Albany high students,
regrettably it was Stevie's "Higher Ground"
40 years old, but not Old Timey



Attractive front gal
who would no doubt agree
with a second fiddle designation



First violin
a cute tomboy

They even mind your instruments
for you while you ramble about




To close the show



Then the contest went into judgment
and this band of ringers
sat in for a rousing set



They sure could wail



This led to square-dancing

Out of practice
for the square part of it,
I nevertheless danced
off to the side a bit


There's Alegra again
I suspect I'm old enough
to be her grandpa


It is a joy
to join the dance


Why do some of these men
try to run a big-legged woman down?


These two are a couple
of real singers



They appreciated my help
on "Sowing on the Mountain,
reaping in the valley"


Then as all things must
the time passed



There's Suzy in the background
waiting for the judges
I suspect ladies dominated the panel
The two all-girl groups won
The Eight Banjo juggernaut
was not mentioned
Maybe because of Suzy's husband
and daughter and Tom
It would look sort of fixed 


The it's all over,
time for breaking up
the hootenanny




Until next year,
Maybe I'll get out my
harmonicas and join in










23 September 2017



No comments: