Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Summer High Tide

 


 
 
 
 
 
Solitude includes the great outdoors
and its various populations
 There is no avoiding this conclusion
There is in fact no conclusion
 
 
 
 
 
 
When in doubt I go to the beach
 
 
Always good for vicarious thrills
 
 
 
 Windy hazy day
mild temperatures underneath
 
 
 Wings
 


 
 Flight departure
 
 


I'll hold down the fort
 


 
The surf shop is hopping 
whatever way the wind blows
 

 
Lots of happy faces
 
 
 
 
Outdoor shower
 
 
 


The swift

Incredibly swift

 
Hydro-planing above the water 
I can't imagine how they stay planted on the board
 
 
 

 
Nonchalant pelicans fly over
 
 

 
 
 
 Inevitably the wind moves me down the beach
 
 
 
 I found a picnic table in a fairly calm spot
for my plant-based lunch:
Hummus, sprouted wheat bread, salad greens
and my bespoke dried fruit medley
 
 


 
Came right down to the shore afterwards 
as the high tide rolled up
This end of the beach is much less windy
lying in the sand one is unaffected by it
 
 
 

 
Mom watches over 
a close-knit Muslim family I deduce
The adult women remained modestly dressed at the beach

 


The water is warm
The Bay is rather shallow here
on the South side of Alameda island

  
 

 
 He wasn't going near the water
Dogs are not allowed on the beach
It's a bird sanctuary 
but people are reliably lawless
and self-indulgent



 
A circus of flying acrobats
Sometimes flying inches above the wavelets
I was revived by another wave of Cannabis 
 
 
 
 

 
Did I mention there was a lot of pelicans?
 


 
More by far than I had ever seen here
 
 
 
 

As if it was The Day of the Pelicans


 

 

I stayed until nearly full high tide
which occurred at 5:41 pm




 
Hop-frogged out of there
to Webster street


 
Monumental pillars 
of Mushroomland



A happy place for all who visit it



 
 Mycophilia
 





When I got home 
not so faraway 
reached quickly by water
I slipped into a twilight sleep
Rolled over and dived 
to the depths of it





17 August 2021











No comments: