Saturday, August 21, 2021

Aleatory Guided Tour

 

 

This side of downtown



 


Sort  of a frumpy part of town
we don't mind
There are also many new "market-rate" buildings
which I tend to ignore in my image capture adventures
Preferring instead to unearth evidence
of earlier civilizations
 
 

 
Architectural artifacts of defunct religions
serve a fairly common denominator still
Wade in the water, children 
 
 

 
 Windows that stay blind
across from the non-stop after dark park
a foreboding refuge for who knows who

 

Windows that let in little light
 


The mind externalized
 the skull and the sky



 
Valuable advertising exhibition space 
visible to the incessant highway traffic
 
 

 
Its neglected state is also somehow its charm
 
 



Not to say that it is entirely neglected


 

A tailor shop
I have in fact patronized myself
though I've yet to purchase a bow tie



 
You phone them 
and someone answers the door



 
 Sales here benefit the public library
I've been intending to bring them a bagful 



 
Good old Hotel Carles
I am acquainted with a resident who works 
at the Cannabis shop around the corner from me
 
 

 
Green Man mural on the Carles
 
 


It's a place in space
calm most of the time

Occasionally it's not so placid

 
I stumbled into  breaking news 
That's Deborah Villalon I remember
from local TV and behind her
the Oakland police PR lady

 

 
 Someone was shot to death
 a planned hit one block from
Police Headquarters
This fellow mops the blood spill
 

 
Two reporters interview the decedent's mother 
He had just driven here from San Francisco

 


Life is touch and go
in the ghetto and beyond



 
Last street before downtown
an impersonal precinct in the dusk
This lit-up pad hangs in the air
like an anachronism
 

 
Indoor dining makes a comeback
 
 

 
Worsening during the post-panic pandemic
This was the hell's half-acre that 9th street
in Old Oakland became at night
My prayers were answered & it is now gone
The club no doubt finally pushed lawlessness too far
it attracted the gangster types
Six were shot here in a January melee
 
 
 

 
 O happy day
 

 
 
A recently arrived painting studio
Indoor and out 
 
 
 
 
 It's a wavy afternoon
 
 

 
As I photographed this graffiti fence...
 
 
 
This wee bird was flying around me oddly
After a moment he squeezed through a space in the fence
I saw a guy was weeding close by in the next yard
and realized the Finch I think was defending its nest

 
 
 

 
 A deserted spot where I stop to bask in vitamin D
it matches my gloves as it were
 
 
 

 
Closer to home a jumble spot
the past is always with you
in fact it's not even the past
 
 
 

 
Summer sky on 9th street




 
 
 
 Time to change the light bulb
in graffittiland


 

 
Uh-oh Spike
What's coming this way?
 
 
 
 
 Not the jail on wheels
to harsh our mellow
 
 
 
 
 
People have a right to self defense 
(original period Black Panther artwork)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Tropical moisture 
pronounced radiating rays
from my secondary smoke spot picnic table
 








 

April-August 2021








No comments: