Saturday, July 24, 2021

A Walk Down Memory Lane in Berkeley

 

 

 

 

 

Walking in Berkeley today

Mindful of the sacred



A storied liquor store along my way



 
Where every great tree 
is familiar to me



This is an historic aerial view of Iceland
a beloved ice-skating rink
Residents pleaded with the City to save it
but the forces of capitalism won out



Here's how it looks today



 
How it once looked
in it's Overlook Hotel era



Here's how it looks today
There's the scoreboard
read it and weep if so inclined



 A vast sporting goods emporium




Yeah we're out there having fun
In the warm California sun




High-endish pricewise



On the Frisbe spectrum



 
Sometimes I get the feeling everybody else in California 
is having more fun than I am



Paddle boards offer a strenuous work-out
while you seem to stand on the water



For many years a sprawling open green lawn 
available to all -- Now a manicured baseball field
 used by only a few for brief periods of time




All that's left of the public lawn
I reclined in the grass a moment myself



Time to re-walk a mile in my moccasins


The object of my quest?
a new hiking bag an early birthday gift to myself
and a cool cotton pocket T-shirt



Could have used a new surfboard too
but I resisted the impulse buy




  22 July 2021

No comments: