Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Wild Wild Life 2022

 

 

 

 

 

Wild Wild Life 2022

 

Outdoor Adventure
in Dead of Winter 
Lonely are the brave




1.
 
 
 
Lakeside Park is fairly deserted
for a Sunday afternoon
second day of the year
Sunshine is brief
and the air temperature is crisp
 
 

 
 
The Oaks in Winter
thrilling in their nudity
 
 
 
 

 
Quietly forest-bathing my soul
 
 

 
Jewel in the lotus
heart of the matter
 
 

 
Somber sundown
over a woeful City
 

 
 Made cheerful by grebes
 

 
 
To lift the homeward heart
 
 
 
(home before dark)
 
 
 
 Unsustainable Plastic Society



The party is over
 
 
 
A New Space Race
 

Bus shelter poster
7th & Broadway
 
 
2 January 2022
 
 
 
 
 
 2.
 

 
All hail the first butterfly of a new year
 
 
 

 
 Bees mostly hunker down at home
sheltering in place in the chill
 
 

 
 Breezes move a mad yellow tree
it's leaves don't let go
 
 

 
A new Bird of Paradise
unfolds
 
 
 

Approaching purple
 
 

 
Recent rock garden
I ponder as I wander
 
 

 
A flock of robins
suddenly descends
around my head like grace
Squirrel looks over
 



 
Down to the estuarial lake
goes RAY
 
 
 

 
 Native woman passes by

 

 
Clear as a proverbial bell 

 

 
 I am way out on the water today



 
 Afloat on a floating dock


 

 
In their element
shorebirds are unperturbed
by my peaceful presence
 
 

 
Plenty of company 
grebes and coots
 
 
 

 
Walking on water 
wasn't built in a day
the temperature starts to dip 

 

 
Skaters skate on
but I call it a trip 

 

 
 A stirring day in Winter
 
 
 8 January 2022
 
 
 
 
3.
 
 

 
O mighty Monarch
you have a divine right
to survive and thrive
 
 
 

 
Color 
irrepressible color
 
 
 
 

 Pass by the bonzai today
Unbeknownst to me
I have a meeting with destiny to keep
 
 
 

 
Just as I put out my blunt
look who shows up
Blonde raccoons!
 
 

 
They march past with a purpose 
after we instantaneously ascertain
that the other presents no threat
 
 

 
Very stealthy as a rule
I had only glimpsed them once or twice
and never had a photo-op before 
My first encounter was with one jumping over 
the Bonzai garden fence as I sat silently 
and if anything more stoned than today
I thought it might be an escaped lemur
 


 
 

 
 Yes the Ancient of Days as seen it all


 

 
 Passion flowers say
 it will soon be Lent

 

 
Seated below a trellis in warm sunlight 
with old time music radio in my earbuds

 

 
I am just a station on your way
sang Leonard in "Winter Lady"
 
 
 
23 January 2022
 
 
 
 
4
 
 
 

 
Bench
 

 
 Burl coffee table
 shop window on Ninth Street
near me


 

 
 
Take some advice
even when it's a bit cold
go for long walks out of doors
whenever you can 
You feel quite happier and warmer
when you hop on back to the hatch
 
 
 
 
 
January 2022
 
 
 
 

No comments: