Thursday, January 6, 2022

Ring It Out and Ring It In

 


 

 

happy New Year 2022 
to all the Flaneur doth meet

Time Keeps Waiting in the Wings 





31 December 2021

 

Last day of another very trying year
it becomes a real test of my philosophy:

Self-awareness and self-reliance
in contented solitude
with a satisfied mind


 
 Last sundown of 2022
in a splendid clockwork world





 
 The sky seems timeless 
as ever 


 
Last rays of sunlit
as the year snuffs itself 
 

 
 Mount Tamalpais
a subtle presence
beyond the Port
 
 


Beyond the beyond



 1 January 2022


 
New Year's Day
in Northern California 
sunny and still quite cool in the shade
 
 

 
Undaunted I'm heading up
walking backward toward
Indian Rock
 

 
Festive bear fountain
along the way
 
 

 
 
Mount Tamalpais
from the top of
Indian Rock


 
 North Berkeley
giving way to Albany
on  a clear crisp day 
Then the San Francisco Bay 
and across it, Marin County

 
 
 
 
View of the North Bay
 

 
 
Families join a transient community
 
 


 

 
The People of the Rock
 

 
god rest ye!
Thoughtful gentleman that I am
I've climbed to te pinnacle
to smoke my roll up a moment
without infinitesimally fumigating 
any children 


Wat lies below

 
Vertiginous perch really
I don't stay long
 
View from the tippity-top 

 
 
20t Century Wonder  
The golden span



 
Return to my rest spot
a seat carved in the rock 
I need te stabilty
& am sort of old man of the Rock
 

 
RAY of the Rock
 
Actually like most of the others
 I went maskless outdoors
& threw my scarf up for this sot
 
 

 
The Children of the Rock worry me
going close to the edges
 
 

 
Low temperatures prevail elsewere
Te Rock bakes in the January sun 
on a fairly wind-free day
 
 

 
Dad wrangling an extra-energized little kid
about to pose with a peace sign hand gesture
Beat him to the punch gratefully
Posed photo? Not so much
 
 
First sunset of the year
under way

 
 Cloud glyphs
 like portents
 

 
One may look into the sun


 
A painterly moment
saffron and gold
 
 
The day reminds me it's cold 
I was here several hours by now
 

 
Farewell to the people of the Rock
many who just arrived
and are fine with climbing down after dark
 

 
Down a steep pedestrian walkway
toward sunset
 

 
Japanese maple in slanting light
 

 
 Winter sky through leafless branhes
archetypal recall
 

 
Indian Rock understudy
There are a number of them on this ridge
many have mortar basins carved in them
by original indigenous ancestors
 
 
 
 
 All the way down to the top 
of Solano Avenue
the high street hereabouts

 
 
Mad Rug Merchant's show room 
a vast Abstract-Constructivist stand-out
 
 

 
Antique rugs so old and ornate
they look holy
 

 
Maybe next year
in my Christmas dreams
 
 
 
 
 
Venerable old new and used booksop
were I ave discovered treasure over te decades
I'd hoped to score maybe a roman noir 
but it's closed on New Year's Day alas
 

 
Sleepy from my climb
with wee party favors 
cannabis and cognac
homeward bound

Shall I take a flying horse?
 
Or a celebratory 
magic carpet ride?
 
 
I hopped my bus toward Berkeley BART station 
but it was AC Bus #18 that goes all the way
 to my own street corner twelve or so miles away
No traffic to speak of, I knew it would fast tonight
and so rode the long mesmerizing street route 
Following along the Bayshore South
in darkness with Xmas lights 
outside my passing window
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sunday 2 January 2022
 
 



Fair deserted in the Park
on a brisk and cloudy day



 
I'm outdoors soul-building
Forest-bathing again




So nice to see the Winter oaks
in their fantastic nude writhing


 
Always uplifted by grebes
flawless on water
 
 
 
 
 heart of the matter
jewel in the lotus
 
 
 
 
 
 Another day goes by in 2022
 
 
 
 
 
Space boys partied hearty 
in a Brave New Year
 
 
 
 
The party's over, baby
 
 
 
 
 
Epilogue

 

It's homemade suppertime
 purple sweet potatoes
and purple potatoes (vitelottes)
boiled and sliced for the frying pan
Red onions alongside
are actually purple as well





6 December 2022
 
Old Christmas
 

 
Blessed Feast of the Epiphany



Bon chance

Bon Appetite

Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler

No comments: