Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Going to See John Waters Last Night


Le filles de joie




The Flaneur makes the scene for a speaking gig by the great humoriste noir







 I'm just coming from Mass and Communion
 The material world looks a little fake to me right now







Got to look my best for John,
Not this place though, it's haunted






 Maybe wear a Stetson and carry a uke...






.... maybe not,
This place isn't bad,
They style a good New York Yankee mullet








 John Waters
Speaking at Diesel bookstore
And reading from his book Car Sick
The true narrative of a senior citizen hitch-hiking
From Baltimore to San Francisco

My comment to him:
"I'm a few years younger than you are, and I was also a first class hitch-hiker, from 1966 to 1978, one of my first long hauls was to Provincetown* in fact, I'm from Massachusetts.... and when I read on Facebook that you were hitch-hiking, and you knew it was real, it went viral really quickly, I saw it while you were still on the road... I just said to myself, he really is the least repressed, the most anarchistic guy in my generation."

I had to speak more loudly loud at the end as the crowd cheered. He thanked me.
I read the book months ago as I have read all his books. The one before Car Sick was very well-written, genuine belle lettres writing.
 I wasn't inclined to line up for an autograph and a "Santa photo" so I didn't get a chance to talk to him. But I may someday tell him I regard him a true and an exemplary Catholic, and maybe a saint.

Assuming he's never been excommunicated, I think he should start a men's religious order.
I'd join.


* John had talked about hitch-hiking in Provincetown himself.







Still light outside,
I thought I take another shot of this piggy
For keeping me company at the bus stop










18 May 2015

No comments: